Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Impressive Bureaucracy

File in under complete idiocy:

After several attempts to correct my doctor's office incorrect billing of me, with no satisfaction, I am going guerilla on them. I am talking to a lawyer, which may simply result in a nasty-gram; I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau; and I'm contemplating taking them to small claims court, once I figure out if you can take someone to court you don't want money from. Heh.

Yesterday I filed the complaint with the BBB. Today I get a reply from them, telling me the case is being processed. The complaint is addressed not to Newcastle Medical Clinic, but to Barbara Clark, MD. There's no doctor by that name at the clinic; there are several other offices in the building, but there's no Barbara Clark. I email them, thinking perhaps they screwed up the manager's name (Barb Newton) and try to explain the matter. I get this reply (really):

"We take complaint against business entities not just certain individuals at a business and that happened to be the name on there. For our records we do not change them until we receive information in writing or from the business directly. If you the complaint goes to the wrong person they will send it back and we can get the correct information from them. The process for this is standard we have to receive information from them that it is not the correct contact. Please be patient it will get to the right place. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me."

You're kidding me, right? They're deliberately sending this to the wrong person, and will get it returned, prior to being able to pick up the phone to call them and verify that I'm giving the correct information?? I'm filing a complaint against an organization, and they are deliberately filing it wrong because their records are wrong and therefore that must be right?

Excuse me, I have to go beat my head against a wall now.

1 comment:

glassGirl said...

Try searching consumerist.com for ways to complain about a doctor's office or health insurance issues. I'm sure you're aware that for pretty much any industry, there's a "best way" to complain; the trick is finding out what it is for the trade or service you're dealing with.