Monday, August 31, 2009

Epiphanies

I've been going to physical therapy for my legs, as promised I would do. This past Friday, the gal was in who could take a look at whether orthotics would be useful for me.

While she did find some stuff with my left foot that makes it useful, the big deal was when I was on the treadmill. Walking along... doing just fine. She says to go ahead & speed up and run. I do so. Nearly immediately she says, "You're running on the balls of your feet!"

Okay. What does that mean?

Well, mainly it means that I'm making my calves do all the work. No wonder they hurt so badly. And that it's a by-product of years of playing hoops, where you pretty much spend all your time on the balls of your feet.

On the upside, this makes total sense and happily, it's within my control. On the downside, this means that I have to retrain a 20+ year bad habit. Oh, that'll be easy. Right.

But I'm so ecstatic to have someone look at this and be able to see what's going on. Inspirational work, for sure!

No comments: